After the election of Donald Trump as president, a professor at Orange Coast College in California, Olga Perez Stable Cox, vented with a hate diatribe in front of the class against the president-elect. Among other things, she described the Trump election as an “act of terrorism,” labeled him a “white supremacist” and called Vice-President-Elect Mike Pence “one of the most anti-gay humans in this country.” This wasn’t even a political science class in which one might expect political talk, no matter how irresponsible; Ms. Cox is a professor of human sexuality. When a student who recorded the diatribe posted the recording on social media, the professor’s union, the Coast Federation of Educators, AFT local chapter 1911, posted this message on Facebook:
“This is an illegal recording without the permission of the instructor. The student will be identified and may be facing legal action.”
Why would any professor object to a student recording their class?
There is a world of difference between instruction (which is what institutions of higher learning are supposed to do) and indoctrination (which is precisely what an increasing number of American colleges are in fact doing.) Worldviews are largely shaped during the late teens and early twenties - the age of most collegiate students. These impressionable young adults, most of whom are away from home for the first time, are ripe for indoctrination into the secular, leftist worldview that is increasingly espoused on most college campuses.
What are the primary tenets of this ongoing indoctrination into the secular, leftist worldview?
- Atheism (without a transcendent universal authority, our own [fallen] morality is all we get to guide us and depend upon)
- Naturalism (which ironically is actually a religion in disguise - i.e., see here)
- Homosexuality (presented as a superior lifestyle; as such, it must be affirmed and embraced, not merely tolerated)
- Intolerance (ironically, they champion themselves as "tolerant", but regard those with a different worldview as ignorant and uninformed)
- Abortion (with no universal code of morality, secular leftists regard the unborn as "unviable tissue" to be extracted; abortion becomes a sacred cow)
- Socialism (which is naively viewed as the Utopian state of existence)
- Victimhood (taught to increasingly demand help from others and advertise their oppression as evidence that they deserve special accommodation, respect and assistance)
- Denial of sin (if someone perpetrates an evil act, it must be because of their environment and no fault of their own - i.e., lack of health care, poor education, abused as a child, no job, society doesn't affirm their lifestyle choice, discrimination, etc., etc.)
- No respect for direct authority (except for fellow leftists who gain power)
- Rejection of tradition (refusal to acknowledge any historical good in tradition; rebellion is the norm when tradition does not affirm their specific worldview)