Turning Point USA, a conservative organization made up of high school and college students, has compiled a website database here of more than 200 professors at universities across the nation that “discriminate against conservative students and advance leftist propaganda in the classroom.” The website, professorwatchlist.org, doesn’t list just any professor — TPUSA requires proof.
“This watchlist is an aggregated list of pre-existing news stories that were published by a variety of news organizations,” the website states. “While we accept tips for new additions on our website, we only publish profiles on incidents that have already been reported by a credible source.”
The website also says that TPUSA is not attempting to silence the professors on the list, but instead they are exposing “specific incidents and names of professors that advance a radical agenda in lecture halls.”
Typical of the professors on the list are:
- Dr. Arthur Butz, a tenured engineering professor at Northwestern University and a well-known Holocaust denier
- Dr. Brittney Cooper, an Assistant Professor at Rutgers University, who stated that Christian conservatives worship a “white supremacist Jesus.”
- Dr. Julio Cesar Pino, an Associate Professor at Kent State University, who faced investigation by the FBI for connections to ISIS. He is strongly anti-Israel and calls Israel the “spiritual heir to Nazism”.
- Abdul-Malik Ryan (JD), Assistant Director of Religious Diversity at DePaul University. Ryan has publicly criticized supporters of Israel. He has also written sympathetically about Islamic terrorists and has signed petitions for a terrorist conspirator. Ryan also supported the idea of a caliphate before the rise of ISIS.
- Peter Singer is an animal-rights activist and professor at Princeton who also believes that it is reasonable for healthcare providers to kill mentally disabled babies. He strongly questions the personhood given to any unborn child and finds little similarity to killing an unborn child and killing any other person. However, Singer believes that all rights, including the right to life, should be granted to animals. Singer simultaneously advocates for the right to life for animals and the right to abort the unborn child. Singer believes children should be able to be aborted up to 2 years old.
Despite the onslaught of criticism from enlightened leftists that the list has received, TPUSA founder and CEO Charlie Kirk, fiercely defends the list.
“If the professors are so scared of what’s going on in their lecture halls being made public then that is their problem, not ours,” says Kirk. “We’re not trying to prevent teachers from saying anything. All we want here is to shine a light on what’s going on in our universities and the response has been incredible.”