A shocking article on salon.com website raises the question, "Now that we have embraced homosexuality, is pedophilia next?"
The article, written by Todd Nickerson, is titled "I'm a pedophile, but not a monster," with the subtitle reading, "I'm attracted to children but unwilling to act on it. Before judging me harshly, would you be willing to listen?"
Nickerson references a website called Virtuous Pedophiles which states, "The goals of our organization are to reduce the stigma attached to pedophilia by letting people know that a substantial number of pedophiles do not molest children, and to provide peer support and information about available resources to help pedophiles lead happy, productive lives. Our highest priority is to help pedophiles never abuse children. We hope you will explore our website with an open mind."
In response, Dr. Michael Brown, who is a Messianic Jews and President and professor of practical theology at Fellowship for International Revival and Evangelism School of Ministry as well as an adjunct professor of Old Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, IL and adjunct professor of Jewish apologetics at Fuller Theological Seminary School of World Mission, points out,
... we shouldn't be surprised with the push for the acceptance of pedophilia, meaning both sympathy for the pedophile, who would doubtless say, "I didn't choose this. I'm born this way and cannot change," and recognition that "intergenerational intimacy" can often be consensual and beneficial—as disgusting as it is even to write those words.
I pointed out then that some psychiatric leaders who were instrumental in removing homosexuality from the American Psychiatric Association's list of mental disorders in 1973 have been fighting to remove pedophilia as a disorder as well, not to justify the abuse of children but rather to say that being sexually attracted to children is not a mental disorder.
.... the principle arguments used to normalize homosexuality were virtually identical to the arguments used to normalize pedophilia.
... Consider these eight arguments, all of which (in modified form) are commonly used in support of homosexual practice. Simply substitute the words and terms, and you'll see how real the parallels are.
- Pedophilia is innate and immutable; people are born this way and cannot change.
- Pederasty is richly attested in many different cultures throughout history.
- The claim that adult-child sexual relationships cause harm is greatly overstated and often completely inaccurate.
- Consensual adult-child sex can actually be beneficial to the child.
- Pederasty should not be classified as a mental disorder, since it does not cause distress to the pederast to have these desires and since the pederast can function as a normal, contributing member of society.
- Many of the illustrious homosexuals of the past were actually pedophiles.
- People are against intergenerational intimacy because of antiquated social standards and puritanical sexual phobias.
- This is all about love and equality and liberation.
Full article on Salon is here.